Effects of winter season on skin
Winter is the coldest time of the year. Due to sudden fall in the temperature your skin dries out causing premature ageing, also increases underlying conditions like acne, eczema, psoriasis. Winter weather can suck the moisture out of your skin, leaving it dull, dry and flaky and also cause chapped lips.
Dermatologist explains that during winter people tend to ignore their skin and hair health which results in more damage to the skin and hair. However, winter season can actually benefit you skin if proper care is taken of.
Cosmetic Surgeons explains the Benefits of winter weather:
1. It clears your pores
2. You sleep better
3. Cold weather promotes blood circulation
4. Cold weather rejuvenates the face
5. Can bring natural blush to your chicks
6. Fresh air
Spend some time on your wellness and you will definitely see the results!!
The first step of skin care is knowing your skin type. Broadly there are 5 types of skin “Normal, Oily, Dry, Combination and Sensitive”.
Normal Skin: It has good balance of moisture, small pores, even tone and smooth texture. It is comparatively easy to maintain the health of the normal skin. Consider yourself lucky if you have normal skin type. Although you will still have to pay attention to your skin.
Oily Skin: Our body generally produces oil which keep our skin soft and helps protect and moisturize it. This oil is known as Sebum. Too much sebum leads to oily skin, which can lead to clogged pores and acne.
Dry Skin: Dry skin feels and looks rough and has fine/deep lines or cracks, that may bleed if the condition is worsen. Dry skin needs most care and attention during winter season.
Combination Skin:If your skin is both oily and dry then you have combination skin. Forehead, nose, and chin are oily and cheeks are relatively dry. This is the most common skin type and requires care too.
Sensitive Skin:This skin type has red rashes, itchiness, dryness, cracked which may bleed or discharge fluids, scaly skin, swelling, burning, tenderness. It is always advisable to consult a dermatologist for any major skin related issues rather then trying on your own.
Get glowing and healthy skin by following simple skin care routine:
- Lukewarm Water: In winter we develop a love for hot shower, but it is lukewarm water which will benefit during this season. Lukewarm water protects body oil from getting washed away from the skin. At lest wash your hands and face with lukewarm water.
- Moisturize: Damp skin seals moisture very well, so apply moisturizer as soon as you get out of the shower.
- Choosing a Moisturizer: Using a petroleum based moisturizer will not be a good idea as it can further dry your skin. Chose a product which has natural ingredients and is oil based. Essential oils will further help to retain moisture in skin.
- Overnight Moisturizer: Hands, feet, elbows, and knees have thin skin and needs overnight moisturizing. Choose a product with natural ingredients and less perfume.
- Scrub: Scrubbing removes the dead skin and allows new skin to breath and rejuvenate. Use scrub 2-3 times a week, be sure that you do it gently and are not scratching the skin. Rough scrub can damage the inner skin layers and skin becomes darker in its natural healing process.
- Hydrate: Drink a lot of water..A Looott!! We usually tend to drink less in winter season, however, our body requires hydration from inside and out. Dehydration can occur more in winters than in summers!
- Avoid allergens: Avoid woolen cloths or any such fabric which can cause skin irritation or rashes. If you have eczema, dermatitis, or psoriasis, then avoid chemical detergents and instead use mild cleanser. Use soaps which has “glutathione” – Glutathione is capable of preventing damage to important cellular components caused by reactive oxygen species such as free radicals, peroxides, lipid peroxides, and heavy metals.
- Skin Masks: Many of the natural ingredients in your own pantry can be a great “DIY MASK”. Honey, yogurt, olive oil, jojoba oils, almond oil, bananas, avocado, lemon, papaya, orange, aloe vera are some heavenly ingredients which can work wonders on skin. Always, always, always do a skin test before using any ingredients on the skin. Make paste of ingredients that suits you and leave on skin for about 10-15 mins and then wash it off with lukewarm water.
Take a very good care of your skin this season and enjoy the elegance of winter weather.